Sights in Epidaurus

Home > Sights in Epidaurus

The attractions of Epidaurus have a worldwide reputation and radiance...

The most famous attraction in Epidaurus is the ancient Theatre. It is famous for its architecture, acoustics and symmetry. Mostly known sights are the Asklepieion of Epidaurus and the archaeological site. Near the ancient Theater which is located next to Lygourio, lie the Ancient Epidaurus and its harbor. The harbor, the green that surrounds it and the view towards Agistri constitute attractions by themselves. Other attractions of the area are the small Theater of Ancient Epidaurus, the Mycenaean Acropolis of Kazarma, the Sunken City, the Castle of New Epidaurus and scattered churches and monasteries.

epidavros-arxaio-theatro

The Great Theatre of Epidaurus

In a canyon, in 340 BC, an Argos architect Polykleitos the Younger, built, according to Pausanias, the theatre of Epidaurus.

Among all the ancient theatres, Epidaurus theatre is the most beautiful and best preserved. Destined for the fun of the patients of Asklipieio, it had a capacity of 13,000 spectators. It was divided into two parts: A 21-rows of seats part, aimed for the citizens and a 34-rows of seats part aimed for the priests and rulers.

The superb acoustics as well as the very well preserved construction, contributed to the creation of Epidaurus Festival S.A., an institution that contributed to the cultural revival of the theatre. Great actors have acted at such as Alexis Minotis, Thanos Kotsopoulos, Anna Synodinou, Thanasis Vengos and the famous Greek soprano Maria Kallas.

mikro_theatro_epidauros

Little Theatre of Ancient Epidaurus

The Little Theatre of Epidaurus is placed in an area called Nisi, near the port of Palea Epidaurus. It used to be the theatre of the ancient city-state and, apart from drama performances, it also hosted religious and political celebrations.

This theatre was discovered in the early 1970s, under a field of olive trees and its restoration process continues till today. Its construction started in the 4th century B.C. and was originally built to cover the needs of this small city-state, so its size was not big. It had 9 tiers and 18 rows of seats and could host about 2,000 spectators. Some seats have inscriptions which show that the theatre was dedicated to god Dionissos and was built in sections.

asklhpieio_epidauros

Asclepieion

The Sanctuary of Asklepios at Epidaurus was the most famous of all Asclipia of ancient Greece, because of the many serious cases that were cured there. In that place sick people and seekers arrived from all over Greece and the Mediterranean basin.

It covered a large area providing facilites such as hostels, gymnasium and, of course, a theatre for its acoustic. The wonderful natural environment of the region appeared to be very importance for the treatment of patients.

The tranquillity of nature, the soft and clean lines of the surrounding mountains, the lush vegetation and the abundant water sources were, especially for patients with mental illness, the perfect medicine resulting in better health with the help of their priests.

Ethnosynelefsi_NeaEpidavros

The Monument of the First Assembly

During the period between 20th December 1821 and 16th January 1822, the First National Assembly of the Greeks took place at Piada.

59 representatives from most of the rebellious areas attended the Assembly and voted for the proclamation of the First Assembly, while they appointed the blue and white colours of the Greek flag.

kastro_epidauros

The Castle of Nea Epidaurus

The castle is a settlement on a rocky hill not far from the sea. The old name of the village was Piada.

The 1st National Assembly of Greece took place in this village (Dec 1821-Jan 1822) and declared the independence of Greece. The castle however is not related to the assembly.

The medieval settlement existed since the Byzantine period. In 1205 the Venetians took the region under their rule and constructed (or reinforced) the walls of the fortification.

The settlement is still inhabited but only a few ruins of the walls remain.

kazarma_epidauros

The Castle of Kazarma

The Acropolis of Kazarma is a relatively small fortified building located on the ancient road which connects Argos, Nafplio and Epidaurus.

Probably built by Argos, it was a quite visible border between the cities – states of Argos and Epidaurus. The Acropolis is built on a hill of 28 m. The walls (width 2.50 m, preserved height 5.20 m) constructed according to the polygonal system are probably dating from the 4th century. The Acropolis has four circular towers. The main entrance is located to the west and there is a gate to the east.

It has been rebuilt during the Byzantine period. Visitors can visit the castle of Kazarma from the eastern side of the hill, where a road has been constructed. There have been no excavations.